Thursday, January 1, 2015

Live In The Promises


I told y’all that last year was so challenging for me, and I promised to share about it with y’all from December 25th. But I changed my mind. I think rehearsing stories of woe is a display of unbelief. I’m sorry if you were disappointed.

About two weeks or so ago, I posted something on my Facebook wall about me being a priceless jewel that only priceless people can possess. In response to that, a very wonderful and dear friend called me and said, “I like your post on Facebook, I just wish I could say the same thing for myself.” Of course, she was going through some things and needed someone to talk to. Later that day, we spoke at length, I counseled her, assured her of God’s love for her, and she felt much better. However, when we were hanging out two days later, she still continued to speak in unbelief. She wouldn’t stop, until I jokingly told her to move far from me so her unbelief doesn’t rub off on me. You know what? I forgive her, I forgive me, and God forgives us all, including you. That was 2014. This is 2015. In 2015, we’re all going to act, everyday, like the Word is true. We don’t have to cajole God into fulfilling His promises. We don’t have to coax Him, nag, and pull the hem of His garment like a little child does when he/she wants something from mommy. We don’t have to do acrobatics praying to God for Him to perform what He said He’ll do. I’ve always said it, there are some prayers believers should not pray – e.g. God, please bless me. It is not a believer’s prayer. It’s a promise (Ephesians 1:3, 2nd Peter 1:3).

In Nigeria, at the close of service in most of our churches, we share the grace in unison, quoting two powerful Bible scriptures – 2nd Corinthians 13:14 and Psalm 23:6. One day, while sharing grace, it dawned on me that we all recite these words from memory but many of us do not live it. Psalm 23:6 says, “Surely, goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” Those were originally the words of King David, and those are definitely not words of a confused person. Believers should never be confused or be in doubt of the Word of God. It is yea and amen. It must surely (certainly, definitely, assuredly, undoubtedly) come to pass – 2nd Corinthians 1:20. Imagine if everyone who shares grace with those words every time actually believe what they say; I bet being a pastor will be more attractive than it is right now. (Can I hear all the pastors here say “Amen” to that? Lol.)

One day, about eight years ago, I was in a place in my life where I needed to feel the arms of Jesus wrapping me from heaven. As I stood in front of the registrar’s office at the University of Ghana about to hand in my withdrawal letter with no other University admission in view, I heard the words, “I will never leave you, nor forsake you.” At that time, I knew there was a verse like that in the Bible (Hebrews 13:5), but I didn’t know where it was, and for many years, I didn’t even care to know, because I wanted to always believe that those words were for me alone. I took those words and sailed with them into another world. When I got to the United States a few months later to continue my education, compared to where I was coming from, it seemed as if I’d been thrown into a boot camp of learning with no prior warning. Everyone knows that all work and no play makes Jack an American, not a dull boy. Through it all, though, I held on to those very words I heard that day at the registrar’s office. God didn’t lie. He never left me. He never forsook me. (He still hasn’t). He gave me way more than I expected. From a student who couldn’t make the fairly cheap cut into medical school, I became one who graduated Summa Cum Laude (First Class). His promises are true. Never let go of them.

He also said in Jeremiah 29:11 that He thinks about us; and that His thoughts towards us are thoughts of peace and not of evil to give us an expected end. I usually remember and speak out these words when I’m in great confusion – confusion that makes me cry pitifully. Amidst tears, He’ll remind me of those words, and I’ll say them out. I love the New Living Translation version that says, “… to give us a future and a hope.” While meditating on this verse, I realized that in this version, “future” comes before “hope”. To me, this means that when I arrive that future or promise God has for me, it doesn’t end there; there is still hope ahead. I mean, we don’t hope for the present or for we have; we hope for what is ahead. So it means that wherever God is taking me to isn’t the end of His plans towards me. Until I enter into everlasting rest with Him (which is what our greatest hope is), I keep on moving ahead – a future, a hope. Hallelujah!

Life is full of challenges. And God never promises us a smooth ride. There are bumps, potholes, sharp bends, and dangerous alleys in this journey, and that’s why Jesus said He has overcome the world for us (John 16:33). It’s a journey that will end safely if we hang on to the words of Jesus. In 2015, there will be many challenges. There will be times you’ll want to give up. Like the disciples in Mark 4:36-41, you’ll want to ask God if He doesn’t care that you perish. But, hold on! Hang on to His promises. He doesn’t lie (Numbers 23:19). One of His promises at times like these is found in Isaiah 43:2-3a (NLT) – “When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you (or, kindle upon you). For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.” Brothers and sisters, can we just believe His words? They’re powerful, faithful and true, and if you believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus is LORD, they are definitely for you.

In 2015, there is no need to be afraid of death either, because Psalm 91 is for you. When Ebola found its way into Nigeria last year, and precisely, into the very city in which I live, I held on to Psalm 91. I love the last verse – “With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation. (Psalm 91:16 KJV). I cannot die in 2015, and I don’t have to pray about it. It’s a promise. It’s done, and I have received it. Full stop.

This year when you face challenges, speak the word. God said His words will never go back to Him void (Isaiah 55:11); so it means whether or not we hold on to His promises, they will still fulfill purpose. They are for us anyway, so why waste it? They are true and powerful and they work (Hebrews 4:12). And that’s why the devil works sooo hard to keep us away from the Bible. He knows that if all Christians know their rights in Christ, then he is in big trouble. I want to put the devil in big trouble even before his time is up, and I’d like y’all to join me in doing that starting from this year. (You know you can’t do that without studying your Bible regularly, right? *wink*)

Don’t worry about anything. God loves you with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3). He is with you. He said He’ll calm your fears with His love and rejoice over you with joyful singing (Zephaniah 3:17). Wow, such love! When things are not going your way, trust God. His thoughts and ways are waaay higher than yours, and believe me, He wants your good more than you want your good, so why not chill and relax in His everlasting arms of love and strength. It’s easier said than done, I know – but just do it. Trust Him to help you. He won’t put you to shame.

In 2015, bask in His love, and live in His promises.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment