Monday, January 1, 2018

HE CARES FOR YOU



Phew!!! I’ve missed my blog.
2017 was a very very eventful year for me and my family. Thankfully, there were a whole lot more good news than bad ones. Top on the list is the addition to our little family; our beautiful daughter, Grace Oluwalayotemi (Oh-lu-wah-lah-yaw-tay-me; meaning God is my joy).
 
 
Being a mother has taught me so much about God’s love and care for us, His children. Several times, I catch myself wondering that if I, a human, can carry so much love in my heart for another human; I wonder how much love God carries in His heart for me.
Something remarkable happened some days ago. On December 23rd, we had our usual Evangelism/Church Planting outreach (I once mentioned it here). My local church was involved in planting a new church around the area. We had had a morning session that Saturday and I returned to the church with my daughter for the evening session. Being an open, uncompleted building, I realized that it was getting cold that Harmattan evening. Because it had been hot all day long, I had forgotten to carry some warm clothing along for Grace. Even the covering cloth I had was just a light flannel. The time was only about quarter past six and naturally, I expected it to get colder. I checked her diaper bag for an extra onesie and wore it over what she had on. I folded the flannel into a triangle wrapped it around her shoulders and put her on my lap for skin-to-skin warmth. I wasn’t satisfied. I put her back in her car seat which I had in front of me, and pleaded with a sister in church to help me look after her while I rushed home to get her sweater and a thicker blanket. I got on the road, hoping to get back to my daughter in 15 minutes tops. That didn’t happen. Fifteen minutes turned out to be almost an hour.
 
 
Wait… before I continue, I have to add this. While pulling out of the parking space that I had managed to get when I arrived earlier, I prayed a simple prayer, “God please keep this parking space for me.”
Anyway, I got onto the major road leading to my house and it was jammed in traffic. If you live in Nigeria, you’d know that most traffic situations can seem hopeless. This was one of those. It wasn’t clear what was causing the traffic, but there was tight traffic. To make matters worse, the house key was with my husband, who was with kids in teenage camp. I called him to meet me up, so he was coming from the opposite direction – jammed in traffic as well. To cut the long story short, I thought it wise to park my car and walk up to my husband to get the house key, then walk home and then walk back to my car. After about forty minutes of power-walking, I finally made it back to my car with my baby’s warm clothes, turned around and went back to the venue of the church planting service. I felt spent.
 
 
When I got there, the parking space was still there waiting for me, exactly as I’d left it. I was so grateful. As I thanked God, happy for the parking space, he spoke to me. He said, “See how much trouble you went through to get your daughter warm clothes that she may not even need. Does it not show that I care for you even more? That I care for all my children even more?”
I considered it and realized that God actually loves us and cares for us very very much. And it’s not about what we’ve done or not done. It’s not about who we are. It’s completely about who He is. He is Love. He can’t function any other way. Even when things aren’t going as good as we’d like, we can trust that he’s working things out for us. If my daughter were a little older, she would have thought that mommy abandoned her when she was cold and in need of warmth. And it was not so at all.
 
 
It’s the same with God. When we are in need; when we are desperate, sometimes He may not tell us anything, but we can trust that He’s working things out for our good. He promised to care for us until our hair was gray and white (Isaiah 46:4). I know He didn’t lie about that.
2018 is here. This is another year with countless uncertainties. Although, there will be challenges, discouraging situations, and times when you’d want to give up, this is another year when you can completely put your trust in Him, remembering that He works for your good, even through unpleasant circumstances (Romans 8:28).
 
 
In 2018, you may doubt a lot of things, and that’s okay. But never doubt God’s love. Never doubt that He cares for you. Knowledge of this will see you through and keep you going as you fulfill His purposes this year.
Happy New Year! It’ll be a glorious one in Christ.
 
 
---
***The end of my story: I got to Grace 10 minutes to the close of service, and she was sweating. It was a complete waste of my time. But put in the same situation, I’d do it again for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment