Tuesday, December 3, 2013

15/11 Series (Part 6): ... Doing Wonders



The people became very attentive. They had complained angrily, been rude, and very disrespectful. But after what they just saw, they listened, and Moses began:

I was in exile in the land of Midian watching over my father-in-law’s sheep. On one fateful day, while I tended his sheep, I saw from a distance a fire burning. What drew me close was not the fire, it was the fact that the fire burned but the bush around it wasn’t burned. As I moved closer, I heard a voice. I was afraid, but not the usual kind of horrification. The voice put a holy fear in me. The voice was filled with so much power and overwhelming love. It was soothing; but at the same time, unsettling. He said to me, “take off your sandals, for where you are standing is holy ground.” I obeyed, and then I began to see things I had never seen in my life – my rod turning to a snake and back to a rod; my arm becoming leprous and back whole again. This was more than amazing to me. So when He told me that He had heard the cries of His children and that I’ll lead them forth to safety, I had no choice but to obey. Initially, I protested, but He insisted. And that is the genesis of our exodus to this place. You all know the rest of the story, I need not tell you – how the Nile was turned to blood and back to water to how all the firstborn sons of the Egyptians were killed on one night, while all our people were safe. The LORD had said that the Egyptians we saw today, we’d see them no more, and true to His words, they’re all gone – right in front of us. We now have liberty to worship our God and live for Him. You should all get ready; you’re going to see more of his wonders. But I must warn you: He is fearful. He is awesome. He has power both to kill and to make alive. Enough of the complaints, young men; enough of the cries, women, there is salvation for us. There’s salvation for our people, we’re moving ahead.
Moses kept on talking and the people listened attentively. Over the years they’ll see several other things that their eyes had never seen – water coming out of the rock, manna falling from heaven, people being healed as they looked up to a bronze snake, shouts destroying the walls of Jericho, and several other amazing miracles. In fact, if there is any one word the Israelites could have used to describe God during those years, that word would be “Wonderful!”

When Moses was done talking, he beckoned for the people to move on ahead towards the mountains. Even though they heard what he said, many of them found their legs to heavy to carry at first. The people turned back to look, one last time, at the land on the other side the sea they had just crossed. 

Miriam whispered, “Wow! Captivity led captive. Surreal.” She turned again facing their future and advanced freely. All the people followed.

Thou in thy mercy hast led forth the people which thou hast redeemed: thou hast guided them in thy strength unto thy holy habitation.

The people shall hear, and be afraid: sorrow shall take hold on the inhabitants of Palestina.

Then the dukes of Edom shall be amazed; the mighty men of Moab, trembling shall take hold upon them; all the inhabitants of Canaan shall melt away.

Fear and dread shall fall upon them; by the greatness of thine arm they shall be as still as a stone; till thy people pass over, O Lord, till the people pass over, which thou hast purchased.

Thou shalt bring them in, and plant them in the mountain of thine inheritance, in the place, O Lord, which thou hast made for thee to dwell in, in the Sanctuary, O Lord, which thy hands have established.
The Lord shall reign forever and ever.

Who is like unto thee, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?

No comments:

Post a Comment